Course of Study Law LLB/LPC
Company Name Financial Ombudsman Service
Company Size 1600
Date recruited Nov 2010
Industry Financial /Legal
What is your role in the business?
I am an Adjudicator for Payment Protection Insurance. The role requires me to make an informed decision to settle individual disputes between consumers and financial businesses on the basis of what is fair and reasonable in the circumstances put before me.
I assess and resolve the disputes fairly, efficiently and in a timely way in accordance with Financial Ombudsman Service business aims and objectives
Main tasks and accountabilities:
- Investigate the merits of each complaint to ensure the decision I reach is correct and produce evidence to this effect where possible.
- Resolve cases at the earliest opportunity, using the most appropriate means, in accordance with the current ombudsman service processes, rules and guidance
- Consistently achieve targets for number of cases closed and timeliness, ensuring quality standards are maintained
- Actively manage personal caseload
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of general case-handling techniques, product types and knowledge
- Identify and share areas of best practice and knowledge
What has been your impact on the business?
Following a boom in Payment Protection Insurance complaints, I have become a member of a valuable PPI team that has high targets to meet. I am currently meeting over 125% of my target and as a new team we have been paramount in settling hundreds of the PPI disputes that come through the Financial Ombudsman doors every week.
On an individual level I am a team representative and often help organise and run various team events.
What skills did you learn while studying at Birmingham City University that helped you find your job?
Birmingham City University provided me with invaluable experience in the assimilation of complex written material, its analysis and its presentation in writing.
My ability to assimilate large volumes of written material and make balanced and well reasoned decisions was established throughout my work for both my LPC and Law LLB.
Group sessions during the LPC and courtroom advocacy assessments helped me with my verbal communication skills. Letter writing exercises helped to improve my written communication skills.
The workload during my LLB and more appropriately my LPC enabled me to establish good prioritising, problem solving and organisational skills as an individual. It also ensured that I was able to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
The standard of work expected from students whilst studying at Birmingham City University provided me with the skills to produce work of a high quality in an efficient manner.
I also received a great amount of help and advice in relation to producing a CV and cover letter that would stand out amongst others. I attended various one on one sessions in this regard and was able to hand in draft copies of my CV and cover to receive feedback on and suggested amendments.