Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.

Parents and supporters

What if my son or daughter finds it difficult to adapt to university life?

We understand that the transition from school to university can be overwhelming. That’s why we operate a mentoring scheme, assigning your son or daughter a second- or third-year student to talk to about settling in, balancing life and study and making friends.

All students are assigned a ‘Personal Tutor’ - an academic member of staff who supports them with their academic and personal development. We also provide free study skills workshops to all our students throughout the year – to help them adapt to independent learning.

Phone calls and emails from home always help with home sickness, so make sure to stay in touch.

Where can my son or daughter get advice or information?

Our Student Services team runs ‘help zones’ on a number of our campuses where students can drop in and get advice about money, health and wellbeing, and finding a part-time job. We can also put students in touch with our student counselling service and our careers service. For more information, please visit our Student Services pages.

Will my son or daughter be safe?

The Security Services team provides 24-hour security and operates CCTV on all university campuses and halls of residence.

Birmingham is one of the safest cities in the UK - with the lowest overall crime rate of the eight major English cities. Encourage your child to look at the West Midlands police Safer Students website for tips on staying safe.

What careers advice is available to my son or daughter?

Our Careers and Job Prospects Service gives students access to qualified careers consultants throughout their studies and up to five years after they graduate. Our consultants help students draft CVs, give advice on interviews and share self-employment advice.

The Service also advertises work placement opportunities and helps local companies recruit graduates.

My son or daughter has a disability – how will you help?

Advice and support is available right from the point of enquiry and throughout your son or daughter's time at the University. Student Services can help with all aspects of support for disabled students, from recommendations on academic-related issues to funding for disability support .

For more information, please visit our Disability Support section.

Can my son or daughter register with a doctor and a dentist?

We recommend that all our students living away from home register with a doctor and a dentist as soon as possible. The Handsworth Wood Medical Centre operates surgeries on campus and encourages students to register in Fresher’s Week.

Will my son or daughter have the opportunity to worship?

We understand how important religious faith is to students undergoing the huge change of a new life in a new city. Our multi-faith chaplaincy organises religious services, social events and prayer meetings on campus, as well as offering students from all faith backgrounds advice and support.