Dr Syed Naqvi
Senior Lecturer in Cyber Security and Forensics; Course Director, MSc Cyber Security
Syed joined Birmingham City University in August 2014. Previously he worked in the Forensic Technology Solutions (FTS) of PricewaterhouseCoopers Enterprise Advisory. His consultancy assignments included antitrust investigations and litigation support services for corporate disputes. He was mainly involved in the collection and preservation of digital evidences from a range of storage devices and media in forensically sound manner with due legal considerations. He also contributed for the electronic discovery services mainly for the review and analysis of the captured evidence.
Syed has previously worked as a R&D Project Manager at CETIC (Belgian Applied Research Centre in ICT) where he was the Principal Investigator of Digital Forensics. He led the capacity building of Cyber Incident Response initiative. His other major assignments at CETIC include: Project Manager of a European Future Internet Security Research Experiment; Coordination of ICT Security activity of national and European FP6/FP7 projects.
Syed has developed and delivered graduate courses in Computer and Network Security at the Telecommunications School of ParisTech. He is a visiting faculty member of the Business Information System Department at Babeş-Bolyai University since 2008.
Syed has held a Visiting Scientist position at University of Washington at Seattle; and was a Research Fellow at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory of the Science and Technology Facilities Council of UK. He is an external reviewer of a number of international journals and has served several scientific symposia as a technical program committee member.
- Syed Naqvi, Real life Cyber Incident Response - A Survival Guide for Businesses, Infosecurity Trade Show and Seminars on IT Security, 20 March 2013, Brussels, Belgium
- Syed Naqvi, ExSec: Experimenting Scalability of Continuous Security Monitoring, Cyber Security and Privacy EU Forum, 24 April 2012, Berlin, Germany
- Syed Naqvi, Philippe Drugmand, Sebastien Rousseaux, Security Challenges for Remote Patient Care Systems using m-Health Technologies, The International e-Health, Telemedicine and Health ICT Forum For Education, Networking and Business, 18 April 2012, Luxembourg
- Syed Naqvi, Digital Investigations and Forensic Analysis - Practices and Technologies, Tutorial at Sixth International Conference on Digital Society, 30 January 2012, Valencia, Spain
- Syed Naqvi, Gautier Dallons, Arnaud Michot, Christophe Ponsard, Using Organisational Security Policy for Ensuring Privacy of Electronic Health Records, The International e-Health, Telemedicine and Health ICT Forum For Education, Networking and Business, 08 April 2011, Luxembourg
- Syed Naqvi and Philippe Massonet, RESERVOIR - A European Cloud Computing Project, ERCIM News number 83, Special Theme : Cloud Computing - Platform, Software and Applications, October 2010
- Syed Naqvi, Security Challenges of Future Internet-based Applications and Services, Tutorial at training event of the European Project SPRERS, 2011, Timisoara, Romania
- Syed Naqvi, Security and Dependability Issues of the Future Internet, Tutorial at Future Internet Summer School 2009 (FISS 2009), Bremen, Germany
Invited keynote lectures
- "Role of Digital Forensics in the emerging dimensions of Cybercrime investigations" at IEEE International Conference On Cyber Incident Response, Coordination, Containment & Control 2016, London, UK on 14 June 2016
- “Cybercrime and Forensic investigations of e-Infrastructures” at Cracow Grid Workshop 2014 (CGW14), Krakow, Poland on 27 October 2014.