The New Technology Institute (NTI) is a part of Birmingham City University and based at University House.
NTI delivers industry-focused postgraduate training in games development, digital marketing, film distribution and marketing, as well as an innovative two year undergraduate degree programme called Interactive Entertainment with dedicated programmes for games development (programming), digital art and digital marketing.
In 2006 NTI founded to deliver professional level accredited Apple, Avid and Adobe training. In early 2010, NTI merged with the Digbeth-based production house Screen Media Lab. Screen Media Lab was set up in the early 2000s to produce websites and video through in-house studios Media Content Lab and Notion Studio respectively, as well as a variety of professional training courses through Media Skills.
This combination of industry practice and professional level education was instilled into the academic programmes developed at NTI by co-Directors Sara Middleton and Oliver Williams. Having launched the first masters degree (Gamer Camp) back in 2011, by 2015 NTI had grown from 16 to nearly 100 students. This stunning growth was achieved by designing highly experiential and industry-focused courses which succeed in helping graduates get the careers they strive for in video games, advertising, digital marketing and the film industry.
The New Technology Institute (NTI) is a part of Birmingham City University's City Centre Campus at University House.
We help you learn a specific discipline such as digital marketing, programming or art and put that discipline into practice by offering flexible teaching space, dedicated development studios and open access work areas for group projects, as well as course-specific facilities.
- Dedicated games development studio space.
- Apple and Android target devices.
- One high spec PC for game development per code and art student and high spec laptop per business student. As a Gamer Camp student you have your own PC and desk in a games development studio.
- Wacom Cinetiq graphics tablets for selected art roles, such concept, GUI and character.
- PlayStation 4 development and test kits. We were one of only five universities in Europe to receive PS4 Dev at launch.
- PlayStation VITA development and test kits.
- Perforce Source Control.
- Hansoft Project Management software.
- High spec PC laptop (Games Development and Digital Art), which is available to keep if you complete the course.
- MacBookAir laptop (Digital Marketing), which is available to keep if you complete the course.
- Dedicated studio space for projects.
Future Media and Film Futures
- Access to dedicated studio space including iMac computers to deliver projects with external clients.
- IMDB Pro.