The School of Law welcomes proposals and applications for PhD study.
Why choose us?
- We aim to enhance your academic and personal development and equip you with the skills and resources to undertake high-quality research.
- You will join a thriving research community and be part of the Centre for American Legal Studies (CALS), one of the University’s research centres of excellence which promotes excellence in research, teaching and consultancy in American law and policy.
- Research students, who have access to a dedicated research room, are encouraged to publish in collaboration with their supervisors and to take part in research conferences.
Our areas of expertise
The School of Law has particular experience in a range of research activities, these include:
- American Criminal Justice System
- Death Penalty Studies
- US Constitutional Law
- Comparative Constitutional Law
- Environmental Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Medical Law and Ethics
- International Human Rights
- Conflict Resolution
- EU Competition Law
- Corporate Insolvency
- Corporate Accountability
- Corporate Trusts
- Pensions and Investment Regulations
- Child Law
- Corporate Crime
- Criminal Justice Process
- Jurisprudence of Natural Rights, Legal Theory and Ethics
- Employment Law and Labour Relations
"I chose Birmingham City University because it is one of the only universities with a specific department for American Legal Studies so I knew that it would be well equipped for me to carry out my PhD in American public law. My supervisor is excellent and has a very wide knowledge of American law so I feel very confident in their help and knowledge."
Further information and application details can be obtained from Emma Traves Tel: +44 (0)121 202 4658.
Alternatively, informal enquiries may be directed to Dr Haydn Davies Tel: +44 (0)121 331 5264.