Dr Scarlett McArdle
Dr Scarlett McArdle is a lecturer in law and joined Birmingham City University in January 2013. She completed LLB Law with German in 2008 followed by LLM in International and European Law in 2009 at the University of Sheffield.
In 2014, Scarlett completed her PhD at the University of Sheffield, which examined the international activities of the European Union and the difficulties in establishing its responsibility for breaches of international law. Her research interests lie in the External Relations of the European Union, the theoretical underpinning of Public International Law and the Law of Responsibility.
Scarlett lectures in Public Law for LLB and GDL students and teaches on undergraduate modules in European Union Law.
- LLB Law with German (2:1) University of Sheffield (2004)
- LLM International and European Law (pass with distinction) University of Sheffield (2009)
- PhD, “The International Responsibility of the European Union: a Critique of the International Law Commission’s Articles on the Responsibility of International Organisations.” University of Sheffield (2014)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, Birmingham City University (2014)
- Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
- LLB Public Law and Civil Rights
- LLB European Union Law
- GDL Constitutional and Administrative Law
Scarlett McArdle, ‘EUNAVFOR Med: Leading the European Union into Difficult Waters?’ BCU Law School Research Seminar, 27th October 2016.
Scarlett McArdle, International Organisations and the Pluralist International System: Threatening the Role of Human Rights? "Taming Power in Times of Globalization: What Role for Human Rights?" NUI Galway, 30 Nov-1 Dec 2015.
Scarlett McArdle, ‘EUNAVFOR Med and the ‘comprehensive’ approach to Migration: potential for sharing responsibility or further complicating the situation?’, UCD, Dublin, October 2015
Scarlett McArdle, Protecting or Jeopardising the EU as an Autonomous Global Actor? Opinion 2/13 on the EU’s Accession to the European Convention on Human Rights. SLS Conference, York, September 2015
Scarlett McArdle, “The interactive nature of the European Union: a limited role for Security and Defence?” CEE/IRSEM PhD workshop "Europe and the use of force", Paris, 27-28 June 2013.
Scarlett McArdle, ‘The European Union and the Articles on the Responsibility of international Organisations: reconstructing the principles of attribution’, Invited Lecture, Amsterdam Center for International Law, January 2013.
Scarlett McArdle and Paul James Cardwell, ‘The European Union, its Member States and the international Law Commission: coherency or competition?’ EU External Representation and the reform of international contexts: practices after Lisbon, organised by the Clingendael Institute, The Hague, LISBOAN- ERASMUS Academic Network.