Royal Birmingham Conservatoire provides tuition in composition. Students on our Composition Summer School will learn from professional composers and work in close collaboration with high-level Conservatoire performers and music technology students throughout the summer school. Composers will take classes in instrumentation, orchestration, music technology and creative professional development. During the summer school, composers will receive individual feedback on their compositions and will have the chance to develop original compositional works, some of which will be performed by Royal Birmingham Conservatoire musicians and recorded in the Conservatoire’s stage of the art recording studios.
What will you study?
- Three main composition projects to write for solo piano with extended technique, percussion duo and a mixed ensemble with flexible scoring.
- There will be opportunities to work closely with professional performers and the projects are led by our experienced tutors
- Extended orchestration classes with instrumentalists
- Chance to have your compositions recorded
- Taster sessions for media music and conceptual art
- One-to-one composition tutorials
- Opportunities to interact with current students in composition and performance.
- The tutors leading the projects include Fumiko Miyachi (composer), Andrew Toovey (composer), Andrew Hamilton (composer), Kate Halsall (piano), G-Mizz Percussion Duo, Lindsay Wright (media music)
- Composition alumni include Laura Mvula, Charlotte Bray, Ryan Latimer, Samuel Bordoli and Segun Akinola amongst many others- there is further information on the Conservatoire composition department page
- G-Mizz percussion duo
Academic status: Practice-based (non-credit bearing)
Faculty: Arts, Design and Media
Dates: 23 July-10 August 2018 (three weeks)
Venue: City Centre Campus (Royal Birmingham Conservatoire)
English language requirements: No formal qualification will be needed, although all classes will be taught in English.
Academic pre-requisites: Portfolio required (3 pieces of music that reflect personal style)