Dr Serena Trowbridge
Lecturer in English Literature
- 0121 331 6235
Dr. Serena Trowbridge read English and Art History at King's College London, followed by an MA in textual studies at the University of Birmingham. Her PhD, entitled 'Christina Rossetti's Fractured Gothic', was completed at Birmingham City University in 2010, supervised by Professor Fiona Robertson. Her monograph Christina Rossetti's Gothic was published by Bloomsbury in 2013.
Serena has taught at the University of Worcester and Birmingham City University. She has recently developed a new module on Gothic literature. She produced the online pedagogical tool The Virtual Theorist, funded by the Higher Education Academy, in 2014. She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and supervises a Ph.D. on Walter Bagehot and Shakespeare.
She is the editor of the journal of The Pre-Raphaelite Society, a member of the committee of the Midlands Interdisciplinary Victorian Studies Seminars (MIVSS), and a trustee of the Birmingham Midland Institute.
In 2016 Serena was on research leave, working on an AHRC Cultural Engagement fund project,‘Reading Art’, with Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, working on Pre-Raphaelite painting and poetry. She is currently preparing an edition of the poems of Elizabeth Siddall.
Recent publications include:
- Chapter on Graveyard Poetry and Gothic in Gothic and Death , ed. Carol Davison (Manchester University Press, 2017)
- Chapter on Christina Rossetti and the environment in Victorians and the Environment, ed. Lawrence Mazzeno (Ashgate, 2017)
- Insanity and the Lunatic Asylum (edited with Thomas Knowles), (Pickering & Chatto, 2014)
- Pre-Raphaelite Masculinities (edited with Amelia Yeates), (Ashgate, 2014).
- Chapter on Christina Rossetti and Gothic in Women and Gothic, ed. Maria Purves (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014).
- Christina Rossetti’s Gothic (Bloomsbury, 2013).
- BA (Hons) English Literature with Art History, King's College London
- MA Textual Studies, University of Birmingham
- PhD, Birmingham City University
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
On research leave until January 2017; then Reading Poetry, Literature 1830-1880.
- Poetry, particularly of the nineteenth century
- Graveyard poetry
- Gothic literature
- Pre-Raphaelitism in art and literature
2015 Insanity and the Lunatic Asylum (edited with Thomas Knowles), (Pickering & Chatto)
2014 Pre-Raphaelite Masculinities, edited collection (with Amelia Yeates), (Ashgate)
2014 Chapter on Christina Rossetti and Gothic in Women and Gothic, ed. Maria Purves, published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing
2013 Christina Rossetti’s Gothic, monograph based on doctoral thesis (Bloomsbury) Editor of 'The Virtual Theorist', a website which provides a pedagogical tool for undergraduates studying literary theory, funded by the HEA.
2011 Chapter on Christina Rossetti’s interaction with the works of Dante published in Dante in the Nineteenth Century, edited by Professor Nick Havely (University of York), Peter Lang Ltd.
Guides to The French Lieutenant’s Woman and Equus for Cross-Ref A-level Guides.
2010 Co-editor with Ryan Barnett of a collection of essays, Acts of Memory: The Victorians and Beyond, including papers selected from the “Victorian Memories” conference and some commissioned contributions, published by Cambridge Scholars Press.
Contributor to the Routledge Annotated Bibliography of English Studies, Nineteenth Century section.
2010 Section on Maturin’s Bertram in The Encyclopaedia of Literary Romanticism ed. Andrew Maunder (Facts on File).
Chapter on Graveyard Poetry and Gothic in Gothic and Death , ed. Carol Davison (Manchester University Press, 2017)
Chapter on Christina Rossetti and the environment in Victorians and the Environment, ed. Lawrence Mazzeno (Ashgate, 2017)
The Poems of Elizabeth Siddall (Victorian Secrets, 2017)