Dr Serena Trowbridge
Senior Lecturer in English Literature
- 0121 331 6235
Dr. Serena Trowbridge read English and Art History at King's College London, followed by an MA in textual studies at the University of Birmingham. Her PhD, entitled 'Christina Rossetti's Fractured Gothic', was completed at Birmingham City University in 2010, supervised by Professor Fiona Robertson. Her monograph Christina Rossetti's Gothic was published by Bloomsbury in 2013.
Serena has taught at the University of Worcester and Birmingham City University. She has recently developed a new module on Gothic literature. She produced the online pedagogical tool The Virtual Theorist, funded by the Higher Education Academy, in 2014. She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and supervises a Ph.D. on Walter Bagehot and Shakespeare.
She is the editor of the journal of The Pre-Raphaelite Society, a member of the committee of the Midlands Interdisciplinary Victorian Studies Seminars (MIVSS), and a trustee of the Birmingham Midland Institute.
In 2016 Serena was on research leave, working on an AHRC Cultural Engagement fund project,‘Reading Art’, with Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, working on Pre-Raphaelite painting and poetry. She is currently preparing an edition of the poems of Elizabeth Siddall.
Recent publications include:
- Chapter on Graveyard Poetry and Gothic in Gothic and Death , ed. Carol Davison (Manchester University Press, 2017)
- Chapter on Christina Rossetti and the environment in Victorians and the Environment, ed. Lawrence Mazzeno (Ashgate, 2017)
- Insanity and the Lunatic Asylum (edited with Thomas Knowles), (Pickering & Chatto, 2014)
- Pre-Raphaelite Masculinities (edited with Amelia Yeates), (Ashgate, 2014).
- Chapter on Christina Rossetti and Gothic in Women and Gothic, ed. Maria Purves (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014).
- Christina Rossetti’s Gothic (Bloomsbury, 2013).