This intensive, instructor-led course will take you from your current level as a user of IT to the level of knowledge required to pass the Linux Professional Institute's Linux Essentials qualification. The course will cover a mixture of lecture, lab and group activities taking place in the modern city centre campus. Extensive use will be made of practical labs using real a real Linux environment as well as mock tests to prepare you for the final exam.
The course is supported by access to online videos, forums and material via the University's e-learning platform and remote access lab technology. At the end of the course you will be able to take the Linux Essentials exam at the University's in-house test centre.
- Linux Essentials teaches you the basics of Linux command line as well as giving a broader knowledge of open source generally.
- Linux Essentials is an ideal entry point for someone taking their first steps in using Linux or for the more experienced user who wants to certify their current skills.
- Birmingham City University was part of the international team that helped develop the Linux Essentials qualification.
The course covers the Linux Essentials syllabus:
- Linux Community and a Career in Open Source
- Finding Your Way on a Linux System
- The Power of the Command Line
- The Linux Operating System
- Security and File Permissions.
Basic IT skills and maths.
How to apply
Email: Linda Maxwell or phone: +44 (0)121 331 7531
Email: Colleen Gavin or phone: +44 (0)121 331 5435
Prospective students from the UK
- Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to a range of questions about our courses and studying here.
- If you need further help, you can contact the Course Enquiries Team online by using the Course Enquiry Form.
- Alternatively, call us on +44 (0)121 331 5595.
Prospective students from outside the UK
- Please use the International Enquiry Form.
- Alternatively, call us +44 (0)121 331 5389.
For more information:
Tel: +44 (0)121 331 5400