Consistently reflecting the changes, challenges and opportunities of the industry, and ably enhancing your employability prospects, this Master’s programme fits smoothly alongside the Professional Level Syllabus of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), one of the leading worldwide professional accountancy qualifications.
It is of particular interest if:
- Your honours degree in Accountancy or Accounting and Finance is accredited by ACCA for exemptions from F1-F9 papers, and you now wish to extend your academic training at a more advanced level, whilst also studying to become ACCA qualified;
- You do not hold a university bachelor’s degree but have partially completed ACCA examinations up to and including the Fundamental Level or the old Part 2, and now want to obtain a postgraduate academic qualification as well as complete your accountancy professional training.
This combination of high-level professional and academic qualifications is a strong assertion of your tenacity, intellect and competence, and a highlight of your CV.
The course offers a deep understanding of the theory behind best practice and financial decision-making at a strategic level in the ever-changing world of business in general, and in finance and accountancy roles in particular.
It offers relevance and rigour, believes in putting theory into practice, and prepares you to face your future with confidence and authority.
- As well as resulting in a Masters level qualification, the course prepares you for ACCA Professional Level examinations through additional tuition both in your group or working alongside students following the Platinum-kite marked ACCA part-time programme.
- Birmingham City University has been awarded Platinum status by ACCA for excellence in tuition provision for professional programmes.
- Please note, all ACCA Professional Level examinations are set and marked externally - Birmingham City Business School provides tuition only.
- The course offers advanced preparation for career development by extending knowledge in the core areas of finance and accounting, and by providing the theoretical framework and analytical skills to cope with an increasingly complex and international business environment.
- You get the chance to study alongside people from other countries, enabling you to develop your knowledge of the cultural implications of business practice.
- You enjoy small class sizes and comprehensive learner development support throughout the course.
- If your first language is not English, the course offers you the opportunity to develop a high level of proficiency in the international business language of English.
You will need to demonstrate academic ability and technical capability in accounting and finance to be able to study on this programme.
Consequently the entry requirements for the programme are as follows:
- Good Honours degree in Accountancy, with ACCA accreditation for F1-F9, or
- ACCA Fundamental Level papers F1-F9
If you do not have the ACCA requirement listed above, you could consider the MSc Accountancy and Finance (CIMA Pathway) as an alternative option.
In addition to the above requirements, where English is not your first language, you must be able to furnish satisfactory evidence of a level of attainment in English language commensurate with study at Masters Level at Birmingham City University. In most cases, a TOEFL score of at least 575 or an IELTS score of at least 6.5 average or 6.0 in all bands or an alternative qualification evidencing an equivalent competence in English will be required.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete the most appropriate online application form from the list below.
For general information about applying to study at Birmingham City University, please refer to the Making your Application section.
International enquirers may contact the International Office for further help and advice.
|Online application for UK or EU students|
|Sep 2015||MSc||Full Time (1 year)|
|Online application for non-EU students|
|Sep 2015||MSc||Full Time (1 year)|
If you're unable to use the online form for any reason, you can complete our pdf application form instead.
Fees and Finance
Fees for students from the UK or EU countries?
|Sep 2015||FT||1 year||MSc||£7,225|
Fees for students from non-EU countries (International)?
|Sep 2015||FT||1 year||MSc||£11,500|
Most of our undergraduate and postgraduate courses start in September/October, at the beginning of the academic year. However, some courses also have January/February or April start options. Short courses take place throughout the year.
Many of our courses can be studied on a Full-Time (FT) or Part-Time (PT) basis.
We also offer a Sandwich (SW) option for some courses – this usually involves two periods of Full Time study separated by a 'sandwich' placement spent working in an occupation related your course.
Online Learning (OL) courses can be studied remotely, usually using online learning tools.
Fees quoted are only for the academic year or start date stated. Fees may change in future years.
The University reserves the right to increase fees broadly in line with increases in inflation, or to reflect changes in government funding policies or changes agreed by Parliament.
New scholarships for 2015/16
We’re aiming to make a postgraduate qualification affordable to everyone and can offer awards of up to £10,000 to selected students.
Birmingham City University is a vibrant and multicultural university in the heart of a modern and diverse city. We welcome many international students every year – there are currently students from more than 80 countries among our student community.
The University is conveniently placed, with Birmingham International Airport nearby and first-rate transport connections to London and the rest of the UK. Our reputation for excellence is soaring globally, thanks to the superb links we forge with industry, our international alliances, and our focus on practical, vocational learning.
Our international pages contain a wealth of information for international students who are considering applying to study here, including:
- Explore some of the good reasons why you should study here.
- Find out how to improve your language skills before starting your studies.
- Find all the information relevant to applicants from your country.
- Learn where to find financial support for your studies.
- Discover what current and former international students have to say.
Postgraduate Open Event
22 April 2015, 2 - 7pm
Our Postgraduate Open Day offers you the chance to meet with lecturers, chat with our current students and obtain advice on fees and funding opportunities for postgraduate diplomas and masters degrees.
ACCA Open Day
14 July 2015, 10am - 8pm
Birmingham City Business School will be opening its doors for an ACCA Open Day on Tuesday 14 July 2015.
The day offers you the chance to meet and speak to our course academics; find out more about the course opportunities we have on offer to help support your career aspirations and apply to start in September 2015.
You will also have the opportunity to take a look inside the Curzon Building, the new home of Birmingham City Business School at our City Centre Campus, which will open to students in September 2015.
Birmingham City Business School is a significant centre for accountancy education and Birmingham City University is the only university in Birmingham to hold ACCA Platinum Approval. Our courses are underpinned by strong industry links and taught by staff with a wealth of industry knowledge.
University Approach to Employability
Birmingham City University is committed to preparing students for successful employability and professional careers. We have an innovative approach to employability that will help you obtain an interesting and well-paid graduate job.
Read our Employability Statement to find out more.
Fully backed by ACCA - and with Birmingham City University awarded Platinum status for excellence in tuition provision on professional programmes - this course offers a recognised and respected programme of study around one of the business world’s key functions.
At Postgraduate Certificate stage, you investigate the key modern theories of finance, look at corporate governance issues in the accounting and finance professions, and explore the crucial business management strategies increasingly employed by management accountants today.
The Diploma stage lifts the lid on four specialist areas: the corporate reporting issues faced by complex organisations, the international focus of strategic financial management, the key function of performance measurement and evaluation, and the current issues and practices relating to the audit functions.
The Master’s stage requires you to study and pass the Research Skills module, before undertaking a substantial piece of research for your dissertation in a chosen finance or accounting area.
Throughout, the course empathises with your place in the working world, and case studies are used to explore concepts applied to actual situations.
Benefiting from the intimacy and interaction of small group sizes where individual experiences are valued and shared, you focus on current and topical issues particularly related to the corporate businesses, but also extending to investment analysis and portfolio management.
You will gain a thorough understanding of the main financial theories on which modern finance is founded. You will be able to measure, use and critically analyse financial information and data for financial and portfolio management decision-making.
You will have the ability to evaluate corporate investment and financing decisions from both a strategic and international perspective, and understand how the management accounting function influences aspects of control, evaluation and performance measurement.
Not only that, you will understand how to formulate, design and execute a business project plan using the appropriate planning tools, how to manage team working activities and how leadership approaches impact on organisational performance.
In short, you will take away a toolkit of immediately usable management skills, and have the confidence to assess and act on any situation with a cool hand and capable mind.
Postgraduate Certificate Stage (September to December)
Modern Theory of Finance (MTF)
Corporate Governance Issues in Accounting and Finance (CGI)
Business Management Strategy (BMS)
Postgraduate Diploma Stage (January to April)
(One Core and two options)
Corporate Reporting (CR) core
Strategic Financial Management (SFM)
Performance Measurement and Evaluation (PME)
Audit Theory and Practice
Master's Stage (May to September)
Research Skills in Accounting and Finance
ACCA Platinum Level Tuition Provider
We have been approved under ACCA's Approved Learning Partner - student tuition (ALP-st) programme and given the award of Platinum Level Tuition Provider.
This means you can be sure:
- We have been assessed against ACCA's widely recognised and highly regarded global best practice benchmarks.
- we have access to a range of development opportunities and tools provided by ACCA.
- An investigation will be carried out in the event of any student complaints.
To gain accreditation you must successfully complete the following modules:
- ACC5010 Mangement Accounting Applications
- ACC6012 Managing Performance
- FIN5004 / CM5416 Taxation
- ACC5008 / CM5411 Financial Reporting
- FIN6009 Advanced Financial Reporting
- ACC5007 / CM5422 Principles of Audit and Assurance
- FIN6010 Financial Strategy
Prospective students from the UK
- Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to a range of questions about our courses and studying here.
- If you need further help, you can contact the Course Enquiries Team online by using the Course Enquiry Form.
- Alternatively, call us on +44 (0)121 331 5595.
Prospective students from outside the UK
- Please use the International Enquiry Form.
- Alternatively, call us +44 (0)121 331 5389.
For an overview of our postgraduate courses and a range of other information please download our Postgraduate Prospectus (6Mb).