An unmissable event for fans of one of the 20th century's major composers, Olivier Messiaen with Colin Mark Andrews, Christopher Dingle and Henry Fairs.
- 10.30am Registration and coffee (Birmingham Conservatoire)
- 11.15am Lecture: 'Messiaen: the man and his music' - Christopher Dingle (Conservatoire)
- 12.30pm Free time for lunch
- 1.30pm Lecture: 'An analysis of Messiaen's musical language in La Nativité' (Conservatoire)
- 3.15pm Organ Masterclass with Colin Andrews at St Chads Cathedral
- 5pm Free time for dinner
- 7.30pm Organ Recital by Colin Andrews at St Chads Cathedral
Distinguished organist Colin Mark Andrews is one of only a handful of musicians to have recorded Messiaen's complete organ works and offers both a masterclass and recital.
Leading Messiaen authority, scholar and author Christopher Dingle, whose orchestration of Messiaen's Un oiseau des arbes de Vie (Oiseau tui) was recently premiered at the Proms, delivers a fascinating lecture. Plus Henry Fairs, who performed Messiaen's complete organ works in eight concerts during 2008 also features.
Following studies in Paris and Vienna and international prizes (including Paris and Chartres competitions) Henry took up his current post as Head of Organ Studies at Birmingham Conservatoire.