Summer Chamber Music Festival
Our Summer Chamber Music Festival from 12 to 15 June 2016 features the cycle of Shostakovich String Quartets. The festival provides a showcase for student ensembles from each department in the Conservatoire, as well as an opportunity to hear some of our superb Ensembles in Residence and teaching staff.
One of the highlights will be the performance of Shostakovich’s great Piano Trio performed by Oliver Willie, Alexander Bailey and Daniel Tong, three celebrated musicians who are currently playing a big role in the Conservatoire as teachers. Also not to be missed are the concerts by the Schubert Ensemble and the Atea Wind Quintet.
This year the Strings students are taking on the challenge of presenting the cycle of 15 Quartets by Shostakovich. This is testimony to the breadth of talent and growth of experience in the arena of Chamber Music at the conservatoire in recent years. The experience of listening to the Shostakovich cycle of quartets is extraordinarily powerful, revealing as it does the inner life of one of the 20th century’s great musical geniuses, as well as one of its most tormented.
The dark side of these works is only part of the full spectrum of human experience they express, from childlike innocence, tenderness and playfulness to great exuberance and irrepressible energy. You are enthusiastically invited to come to as many concerts as you can fit in!
- The Sylvia Cleaver Chamber Music Prize - 12 June 2016
- Shostakovich Quartets I - 13 June 2016
- The Atéa Wind Quintet - 13 June 2016
- Woodwind - 13 June 2016
- Woodwind II - 13 June 2016
- Strings and Piano I - 13 June 2016
- Strings and Double Bass - 14 June 2016
- Schubert Ensemble - 14 June 2016
- Brass - 14 June 2016
- Strings with Piano II - 14 June 2016
- Shostakovich Quartets III - 14 June 2016
- Showcase Concert - 15 June 2016
- The Gildas Quartet - 15 June 2016