As a student at the School of Computing and Digital Technology, you have access to networking laboratories equipped to industry standards and running the latest software, giving you the best possible introduction to the technologies you will encounter in the world of work.
Dedicated facilities are provided for systems analysis, computer networks, programming in a wide range of languages, artificial intelligence, modelling and visual programming, e-commerce and .net environments, and business intelligence, as well as supporting the application areas of mechatronics, games technology, electronics and computer forensics.
Cutting edge technology
Thanks to our partnerships with Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, Juniper, Huawei, SAS and LPI our students have access to the latest technology and facilities that reflect advanced professional practice.
We have state-of-the-art laboratories, lecture rooms and personal computing spaces, all of which enable you to access a wide range of programmes and systems.
The laboratories are well-equipped for all our computer networking courses, as well as specialist areas for practical work such as:
- Voice-over internet protocol (VoIP)
- Security technologies
- Forensic and ethical hacking technologies
- Location-based services
- Wireless and mobile technologies
- Radio frequency identification technologies
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Mains data transmission and control devices.
- Software Defined Networking including NFV
Software development and computer programming
There are a number of open access, software development and computer programming
laboratories that can be used to develop systems and programmes, including:
- Software development environments for modern programming languages - Visualisation Studio
- Computing programming languages – VB.NET, C#, ASP.NET, PHP
- Operating systems – Linux, Open Source, Windows and Mac
- Database management systems – MySQL
- Neural network simulator
- Computer architecture simulators – RISC
- Application development software – iPhone
- Integrated development environments – Netbeans / FPGA /CPLD
- JAVA programming – BlueJ.
Our embedded systems laboratories are used to develop real-time systems, such as specialist hardware training and development resources, and industrial-standard software development and simulation tools. These include:
- Schematic capture and printed circuit board (PCB) design software – ORCAD
- Analogue and digital circuit design and simulation software – PSpice
- Graphical microcontroller software – Matrix Multimedia Flowcode
- Microcontroller development board – PIC Microchip
- E-block microcontroller training kit
- FPGA & CPLD development board
- Robotics design and development
To underpin the basic principles of electronic systems, we have a well-equipped laboratory of general and specialist test and measurement kits, including:
- Powered prototyping development boards
- Dual power supplies
- Frequency generators and counters
- Digital multimeters
- Digital oscilloscopes
- Data acquisition and loggers
- Spectrum analysers
- Digital logic probes.
Our successful development of forensic computing has led to a specialist forensics laboratory that is fully equipped with essential hardware and software for this sensitive area of study. The laboratory has:
- High-spec PC’s with built-in multi interface Tableau write blockers
- EnCase and FTK computer forensic software
- MAC, iPhone and iPod forensics software
- Steganography detection and analysis software
- XRY, XACT and Oxygen forensics software for mobile phone forensics
- Satellite navigation systems forensics analysis software
- Hard disk recovery, repair and imaging hardware and software
- Fingerprint readers and recognition software development kits
- Facial recognition cameras and software development kits
- Low frequency (LF) and high frequency (HF) RFID Readers
- 1D and 2D barcode scanners and printers.