Course of Study BA Hons Marketing, Advertising and PR
Company Name BASW - The College of Social Work
Company Size 50 employees
Date recruited March 2010
Duration of employment Knowledge Transfer Partnership 2 years fixed contract.
What is your role in the business?
I am a Strategic Marketing Project Manager. The objectives and aims of my role are to develop and embed a marketing strategy that is robust and evidence based. Ensuring that there is rigorous information based decision making happening within all the departments of the organisation (rather than adhoc) that provides direction on marketing, branding, brand management, products and services.
To transform the culture and the competencies of the organisation, at operational and tactical levels turning BASW - The College of Social work into a market oriented organisation. Allowing social workers to utilise new products and services that are developed based up on their professional requirements that improve their own personal effectiveness, to the benefit of their clients, their employers and society as a whole.
What has been your impact in the business?
- Given understanding and knowledge of strategic marketing, branding and brand management.
- Implemented frameworks/processes to assess viability of event expenditure.
- Continually changing the decision making culture from adhoc to evidence based.
- Recruited new members.
- Introduced the importance of CRM and how to use information gathered to benefit membership recruitment campaigns.
- Implemented strategic/corporate objectives along with tactical and operational objectives.
- Recommended and implemented new products and services.
What skills did you learn while studying at Birmingham City University that helped you find your job?
- First and foremost I learned how to write a CV and cover letter that is specific to job opportunities within my career path of Marketing, Advertising and PR.
- Birmingham City University also equipped me with knowledge and understanding of Marketing, Advertising and PR concepts and strategy. I learned how to review and develop Marketing, Advertising and PR strategies; how to conduct systematic market research, both quantitative and qualitative; and how to analyse results that can be turned into a set of objectives.
- My degree covered so much and has given me vital insight into: Marketing Concepts, Marketing Analysis, Customer Interface, Media Interface, Creative Interface, Management Perspectives, Business Law and Ethics, Interactive Web Marketing, Selling, PR Practice, Market Research, Finance for Marketing Management, Project Management, Advertising Practice, Professional Development, Advertising Strategy, PR Strategy, Service Sector Marketing, Branding and Corporate Identity, Relationship Management, Development of Marketing Strategy and Marketing Consultancy.