Bicycle User Group
As part of its commitment to promote the use of Sustainable Travel, Birmingham City University has created a Bicycle User Group offering information for its bicycle users.
The University is a member of Cyclescheme, which gives staff the option of purchasing a bike and related equipment via salary sacrifice. Staff effectively spread the cost of the purchase as a loan over 12 months, and have the added benefit of income tax and national insurance relief on it. At the end of 12 months the bike can be bought for a fair market price. For more information, contact our Environmental Manager or visit the Cyclescheme website.
Birmingham Bike Shops
A list of local bike shops can be found on Birmingham City Council’s website.
Facilities for cycling
A full list of shower and cycle rack facilities at the University’s sites can be provided by our Environmental Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want our cyclists to be safe. If you notice any defects on site, such as potholes or problems with lighting, which pose a potential risk to staff and students, please report them on the Environment and Sustainability feedback form.
You can also report defects on the road network outside our campuses and we will pass them on to the Local Council.
Top tips for cycling safety
- Take out an insurance policy for your bike.
- Get a good quality bike lock, such as a D lock.
- Lock your bike in a well-lit area and in one of the bike rack facilities provided wherever possible.
- Use your safety equipment and maintain your lights.
- Service your bike annually.
- Carry a puncture kit and bike pump.
- Consider a short cycle training or bike maintenance course and brush up your cycle skills. The University can provide these free of charge for our staff and students.
Our Police Liaison Officer is also able to provide advice regarding security for you and your bike. Get in touch via email@example.com
Local cycling organisations
You can get more information on the provision for cyclists in the West Midlands here:
Other organisations that may be of interest include:
- Cyclist Touring Club
- British Waterways (for information on permits for cycling along the canal)